This news feed is no longer being updated. Please visit the 2016-2017 News Feed for current information.
A few items of information:
1. We have some yearbooks left for sale! $15 each. Most classes will be having signing parties next week. The outside cover of the yearbook is the school-wide picture that was taken last fall on the back hill. Get yours while they last.
2. Parents - please remember to join us this evening in the JWES library to welcome our new principal, Mrs. Karen Ridder. The JWES PTA is hosting a reception from 5:30-6:30, and then there will be a PTA meeting held beginning at 6:30 p.m. Child care will be provided in the computer lab during the meeting. Children are welcome to attend the reception.
3. Next week, all four days, school will dismiss at 1:00 p.m. The last day of school is Thursday, June 9th.
4. The 5th grade farewell ceremony and reception will be held on Wednesday, June 8th at 7:00 p.m.
5. Field Days will be held early next week from 9:00-11:00: PreK-2 on Monday, June 6th and grades 3-5 on Tuesday, June 7th. Volunteers please try get to school by 8:45. Please send a towel, sunscreen, and a hat with your child, and have them wear tennis/athletic shoes. No flip flops, please!
1. Please find attached the final JWES PTA JagWire Newsletter for this school year.
2. Please make sure to check the lost and found closets in the front hall of the school by Thursday, June 9th. Items not claimed will be donated to a local clothes closet to benefit people in need of clothing.
A few items of information:
1. Show your school spirit on Friday, May 27th and wear purple! This is our final school spirit color day for the SOL testing weeks.
2. Monday, May 30th is Memorial Day holiday with no school.
3. On Thursday, June 2nd, the PTA will hold its final meeting of the school year at 6:30 p.m. in the library. Before the meeting, at 5:30 p.m., the JWES PTA will host a reception to welcome the new JWES principal, Mrs. Karen Ridder. All parents are welcome to attend! Child care will be provided for school-age children during the meeting.
4. Attention parents of students in grades 3-5: If your child happens to just miss the mark of passing on one or more of their SOL tests, and scores a 375-399, your child's teacher will be calling you and offering you the opportunity for your child to take a "retake" of a different form of the test to give them another chance to pass. You will then receive a letter with a form to sign giving us permission to administer the test the week after Memorial Day. It is totally up to the parent, but we encourage you to consider it. About 50% of the students at JWES who took retakes last year passed on their second attempt.
5. Also- looking ahead towards the end of the year at JWES:
*The last four days of school, June 6-9 will all be early dismissals at 1:00 p.m.
*Our end of year field days are just around the corner! Monday, June 6th will be PreK-2 from 9:00-11:00, and 3-5 will have their's on Tuesday, June 7th from 9:00-11:00. We need lots of volunteers to make the days successful. Please go to the following link to sign up: http://goo.gl/forms/Csf9ENxQFR
*Our 5th Grade Farewell ceremony and reception will be held on Wednesday, June 8th at 7:00 p.m.
*On the last morning of school, June 9th, we will hold our annual recognition assembly for students in grades 3-5 at 9:00 a.m. More information will be forthcoming about the types of awards and certificates that will be presented at the assembly.
Teachers from John Wayland Elementary recently met with the math teachers at Wilbur Pence Middle to discuss how we teach math here at JWES. A video was put together so that they would be able to see math lessons in action. You can visit the Math in the Classrooms page to view these videos. There is one video for each grade level. But don't stop at just one, feel free to watch them all to see how your children are taught math at John Wayland Elementary.